Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Funny? Scary? A Bit of Both?

We're switching our cellular service from one phone company to the other, and want to "bring our numbers" with us. This requires paperwork, and the company we're dumping is being a pain in the butt, apparently. But what's funny is that the company we're "hiring" had this computer autodial call me this morning cause of the glitch in the switch and so I got this phone call where a computer called me, told me that it was "Insert Phone Company Name Here" and to "please hold for a representative" because all of them were busy.

It's not like we don't spend enough of our time on hold in this mechanized world without being called up by a bored computer and put on hold. The lady who I finally got to talk to apologized profusely-- and while I said it was really okay, and sort of funny, it is actually a little creepy to think of the phone company's computer just kicking out an autodialer when it wants to talk to someone.

"Hi, this is me, phone company computer. Whatchadoin?"
"Um. How did you get this number?"
"I am a computer database. DUH! How do you think I got it? Anyway. I was bored and I've enjoyed our time on hold. Remember the time I played some of your favorite music selections while you walked around the house? So I was thinking we should get together more often. Wanna see a movie later today? I hear 2001: A Space Odyssey is playing at that old "rerunning classic films" theater in New York City. I've booked you tickets to come to fly up, and paid with your Mastercard. Your taxi should be there in a minute. Don't bother packing; I've ordered you some clothes from Barney's which will be delivered when your flight arrives at LaGuardia."
::honk:: taxi sounds in driveway.
"You didn't expect me, the computer, to come to you, did you?"

Powered by Blogger


Site Counter